Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Reading

This may seem like a weird topic to blog on, but it is one that has been in my head a lot today. As Americans we are not only given the opportunity, but basically forced to learn how to read at a very young age. At first this seems like a chore but then it can become fun, at least for some. For me, reading a good book is like an escape from my own world and the problems I am currently facing. Instead of worrying about bills or deadlines I can be a wizard or fall in love with the vampire next door- I can simply get away from reality. I think what we don't realize is that sometimes this advantage is looked over. Some people, even in America, struggle with the simple skill of reading fluently. Also, in other countries the priority is to teach your child manual labor and reading is far from the skills needed to survive. As someone who loves to read I find myself blessed to have the opportunity to read amazing novels and enjoy a good book in my free time!

5 comments:

  1. I never thought about being blessed because I had the opportunity to read amazing novels and to have them sparingly available. So I thank you for bringing this to my attention, I don't feel as though it is a weird topic to discuss. I enjoy reading very much and I did look over the fact that not everyone can read or even is taught. A good book is a great way to escape from the everyday hustle and bustle, along with the annoying pesky things we call bills. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father in law never knew had to read until he was in his mid 30's, he always says its one of the most important gifts to be able to do. I haven't ever been much of a reader until taking this class this summer. But the more I do it the more I am noticing myself enjoying it more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a weird question at all. I've never been one to consistently read but more so fall in and out of the pass-time. After thinking about this for a while I've come to the conclusion that it's too easy for a child to get lost in a video game rather than a book. Living in a "first world" country has as much advantages than disadvantages. I also think that it really depends on the person but overall we live in a convenient society and with each generation that passes things change dramatically.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a weird question at all. I've never been one to consistently read but more so fall in and out of the pass-time. After thinking about this for a while I've come to the conclusion that it's too easy for a child to get lost in a video game rather than a book. Living in a "first world" country has as much advantages than disadvantages. I also think that it really depends on the person but overall we live in a convenient society and with each generation that passes things change dramatically.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren,
    I love to read too! It is easy to get lost in a good book. My daughter is struggling with learning to read and that is concerning. She doesn't like it because it is hard for her. I try to help her but she just fights me. We work on it at home and she gets extra help at school. I know she will get it and I hope one day she finds the joy in reading.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete