Tuesday, June 30, 2015

#LoveWins

A few days ago gay marriage was approved by the Supreme Court as legal in the United States of America. Although I feel as though I have seen enough controversy over this topic on Facebook and other social media outlets, I would like to speak my mind about not the issue itself, but the response from many communities. To start, I am just going to throw out my personal beliefs so you know what is going through my head: Anyone should have the right to marry whomever they choose. In our constitution there is a clear boundary of church and state which I believe should set the guideline that the government has no right to declare who can and can not marry. Okay, now that we've got that out of the way I would like to talk about the response to this Supreme Court decision. The fact that SO many people not only in our nation, but on my Facebook timeline, in my hometown, and even in my own family are filled with so much aggression and hate breaks my heart. I have seen so many arguments and hateful words across social media that it makes me want to isolate myself from the internet. Everybody is entitled to their beliefs, this is America after all. However, does this mean we should discriminate and be hateful toward our fellow Americans for their beliefs?

“I wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school. I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy.”

Yes, I will end this blog post with a quote from mean girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment